|“||What can the humble Bard do for you today?||”|
The Bard wears an orange overshirt with lace in the front and a brown cape in the back. His hat is a lighter orange with brown stitches on the rim, and holds yellow feathers. His sleeves are the same color yellow. He wears brownish leggings with a pointed toe, which is a traditional bard or jester trait. He plays a lute.
For some odd reason, the Bard wears a knight helmet.
Shovel of HopeEdit
In Shovel of Hope, the Bard can be found playing a lute near the Village's fountain. He sets Shovel Knight on a quest to recover his lost 46 Music Sheets, spread around the Valley. He rewards Shovel Knight 500 gold for each Music Sheet recovered. He also gladly details who requested each musical score and how he ended up creating them. Shovel Knight is then able to listen to the song whenever wanted.
He reappears in the ending with the rest of the Village, witnessing the fall of the Tower of Fate.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
He is seen again in the ending, rejoicing with the rest of the Village at the destruction of the Tower of Fate.
King of CardsEdit
In King of Cards, the Bard can be first met in the Card Shack. He accepts to help King Knight through the King of Cards competition, since his own songs have grown stale and he wishes to move on. He then calls himself the "Card Bard" and follows King Knight in his quest to be "King of Cards".
Shovel of HopeEdit
When first talked to:
- "Bard: Hail, traveler! I am but a simple bard, but I have a big problem... I've lost all my Music Sheets! My entire repertoire lays scattered across the land! If you ever find a Music Sheet, return it to me, and I shall reward you... handsomely!"
When bringing a single Sheet:
- "Bard: OOOOHHHH! You have a Music Sheet! Please accept 500 gold as a reward!"
When bringing two Sheets or more:
- "Bard: WOOOAH!! You have [x] Music Sheets! Magnificient! Take 500 gold for each!"
When giving the Bard a Music Sheet:
- "Bard: Wonderful! Let's see here... Oh, you found "[x]""
- "Bard: Now that I have this Music Sheet, I can perform it for you any time!! Just ask!"
When talked to:
- "Bard: Hail, Shovel Knight! Hero of music! What can the humble Bard do for you today?"
Choosing to play a song:
- "Bard: Splendid! What would you like to hear?"
When giving him the last Music Sheet:
- "Bard: UNBELIEVABLE! You've recovered every single opus in my oeuvre! A chromed-out curator! A heroic historian! You may have saved the village, but your real contribution... is to the fine arts! BRAVISSIMO!!"
- "Bard: Hey Shovel Knight! I just received a book of mysterious songs from a faraway brand! I mean, land! Anyway, I've added them to the song list! So..."
King of CardsEdit
When first talked to:
- "King Knight: King.... of Cards!? Mr. Bard! I must become the King of Cards!! This hunk of iron says you can help me!"
- "Bard: Maybe I can! See I'm a simple bard, but I must move on as my songs have grown stale. Call me ... The Card Bard!"
- "Card Bard: The Card Board behind me shows the local card competitors. Defeat them and you'll soon be king! Would you like to see the Card Board?"
- "Card Bard: Matron Molly, quite nearby! My goodness, she is affectionate!"
- "Card Bard: He's one of the fanciest players I've seen!"
On the Card Shack's unknown third competitor:
- "Card Bard: Defeat the other Card Board competitors to find this hungry fella!"
After beating both Molly and Leo:
- "Card Bard: Wow, you beat all the challengers! No"
On the Goatician:
- "Card Bard: Goatician? I've heard he's quite the player. Careful though! He's prone to eating players' cards."
After defeating the Goatician:
- "Goatician: Oh no! You bleat me! Maybe you are the true King of Cards..."
- "King Knight: Of course I am! I'm the best! Come, Card Bard, let's shuffle out!"
- "Card Bard: Away we go!"
- The Bard represents the game's compositor, Jake Kaufman, as he wrote most of the music of the game.
- On the track In the Halls of the Usurper, he states that the piece "kickstarted" his career as it was his first performed lair theme. This is a direct reference to how Shovel Knight was funded: by a Kickstarter campaign. This track was also in the first preview level.
- When commenting on Flowers of Antimony and A Thousand Leagues Below, the Bard states that these tracks are actually composed by another female bard from a faraway land, a clear reference to Manami Matsumae|Manami Matsumae, the composer of these tracks also known for her work on the Mega Man series.
- Even though he isn't a knight, his model is named "Bard Knight" in the game's files.
- In Plague of Shadows, if Plague Knight travels underground after collecting Scrap Sheets in a stage other than the Plains, the Bard will still jump in joy as he does when Shovel Knight brings him Music Sheets.
- The developers designed a Body Swap version for the Bard, although only the main cast of Shovel of Hope had one added to the campaign.
- Though not canon, in the unfinished Super Beard Bros playthrough of Plague of Shadows, Jake Kaufman said he liked to call the Bard "Virttholomew". This is a reference to the name he used as an OC remixer, Virt.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|