|Stage||Plains, Arena, Tower of Fate: Entrance|
|Second Theme||The Defender|
|“||For the last time, I answer to no one!||”|
Black Knight (sometimes 'The Black Knight') is one of many Knights that appear in Shovel Knight. He is Shovel Knight's enigmatic yet good intended rival. His fighting style differs from Shovel Knight, despite their same choice of weapon.
Black Knight appears three times for a fight in both Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows: once as the end boss of the Plains, once as a wandering boss after clearing a stage in the third region and once as the end boss of the Tower of Fate: Entrance.
|“||As the Yin to Shovel Knight’s Yang, the Black Knight calls nobody master. Clad in obsidian armor, he hounds Shovel Knight to the ends of the Earth, spoiling for a battle. The Black Knight’s skill with the Shovel Blade rivals that of Shovel Knight, or so the Black Knight hopes to prove! While Shovel Knight is confused as to why he has this mysteriously relentless doppelganger, no number of humiliating defeats by Shovel Knight could dampen the Black Knight’s spirit: he will always rise up to fight again!||”|
- Pros: persistent, confident, goal-orientated
- Cons: slightly inept, squeaky voice
|“||The Black Knight’s persistence and obsession with Shovel Knight should fuel a light, fun-filled romp. The Black Knight would likely be chasing down Shovel Knight, but instead finding each of the Order of No Quarter.||”|
Original Play Style Ideas Edit
- Shovel Knight Hard Version! – As a ShovelBlade wielder, expect the Black Knight to downthrust and dig. However, to make him different from Shovel Knight, he will be given different moves could be more complex and nuanced.
- Technical Character – Charge attacks! Multi-hit combo moves! Building up rage with each hit! Expect a deep but tough experience.
The battles in the Plains of Passage and overworld are remarkably similar. Black Knight has some of the same moves as Shovel Knight, including the Shovel Drop, where he actually propels himself to dive faster with his blade, and won't bounce off should he hit his opponent. However, he can launch a large purple projectile attack, which can be reflected by attacking it directly with the shovel. During the second battle, he will deflect this back at you if you attempt to deflect it, until he lets his guard down, causing himself to get hit.
In the final battle against him at the Tower of Fate: Entrance, the battle starts similarly, except when using his purple projectile attack he will instead phase across the screen launching them. After a while during the battle, he will grow wings, which will fire thorns upon being released. In this form he will occasionally summon large meteors to strike the earth, with two meteors staying on the ground, that will cause damage to Shovel Knight upon contact. These cannot be destroyed by the player, but can by Black Knight, who will occasionally Shovel Drop onto them, causing them to explode. After a while his wings will disappear and he will retake his previous strategies, occasionally growing them again to restart the cycle. He also has a more powerful Shovel Dirt attack, which will launch multiple debris imbued with purple energy; glowing debris can be reflected by attacking with the shovel.
This article has insufficient information. Feel free to assist the
Shovel Knight Wiki by expanding it!
Black Knight engages Specter Knight using a different strategy: he fights while mounted on his trusty and shelled steed, Terrorpin. The two fight with a highly coordinated approach, along with some of Black Knight's more familar moves. Only Black Knight can be damaged in these battles, Terrorpin is completely invincible.
When first fought in the Plains of Passage, Black Knight will stand atop Terrorpin, occasionally Shovel Dropping to either have Terrorpin a purple energy shot, or make himself more difficult to hit while Terrorpin charges. If hit at any point, he will be knocked off Terrorpin and follow his fight pattern from the first battle in Shovel of Hope. While Black Knight will still Shovel Drop, dig dirt orbs, slash with his Shovel Blade or even stop attacking and laugh, Terrorpin will attack as a separate entity attempting to ram Specter Knight until Black Knight remounts him restarting his previous pattern.
The second battle at the Tower of Fate: Entrance however is far different from the first. Black Knight starts the battle on Terrorpin as it hovers high in the air, too high to Dash Cut into Black Knight. Attacks that target the duo at this time simply knock them slightly back causing no damage. While hovering he will attempt to slam the shell into the ground when Specter Knight is underneath.The attack sends two small shockwaves across the floor. Black Knight then follows up by summoning orbs of energy infused dirt to surround the duo, before slamming Terrorpin's shell into the ground launching the orbs up into the air. Dirt clusters then fall from the sky starting at the room's edges and ending next to where the duo is hovering. The next act has Black Knight funning in place on Terrorpin's shell before sending the both ricocheting off the walls to the ground. During this moment Black Knight will be vulnerable to attack and can thus be knocked off Terrorpin, causing him to transition into his dismounted attack pattern until he remounts Terrorpin and the cycle repeats.
Shovel of HopeEdit
At the end of the Plains:
- "Black Knight: I knew you’d show your face sooner or later. The cerulean coward! Turn back, Shovel Knight! There’s nothing here for you anymore."
- "Shovel Knight: Stand aside, Black Knight! I’ve no quarrel with you. I must return to the Tower of Fate!"
- "Black Knight: Your time away has dulled your senses… can’t you see? This entire valley has been conquered by the Enchantress! And her invincible knights of the Order of No Quarter stand between you and the tower! But none of that matters, because anyone after the Enchantress has to go through me. Steel thy shovel!"
Wandering across the Valley:
- "The Enchantress: With you by our side, Black Knight, total dominion is within our grasp."
- "Black Knight: I beg of you, take my words to heart. Your safety is my only concern!"
- "Shovel Knight: Was that the Enchantress? Tell me wh-"
- "Black Knight: YOU! Haven't you tired of this charade? Stay out of this!"
- "Shovel Knight: You never were one to blindly follow, Black Knight, but the Order and the Enchantress must be stopped!"
- "Black Knight: Fool! You're headed down a ruinous path!"
- "Shovel Knight: The only path I seek leads to the Tower of Fate. And I will reach it."
- "Black Knight: Never! Steel thy shovel!"
At the entrance to the Tower of Fate:
- "Black Knight: Shovel Knight! Stop your meddling and turn back now! This is your last chance!"
- "Shovel Knight: I will reach her, Black Knight, even if I have to go through you."
- "The Enchantress: Black Knight, are you guarding my tower? Have you finally decided to join us? You may kneel and pledge your loyalty now."
- "Black Knight: For the last time, I answer to no one!"
- "The Enchantress: Very well. Here's a tiny taste of the power you spurned."
- "Shovel Knight: Black Knight!"
- "Black Knight: I WARNED YOU TO STAY AWAY!"
After defeating Black Knight:
- "Shovel Knight: This has gone far enough! Whatever you've been trying to do, you can't reach her!"
- "Black Knight: *COUGH* Ugh, you may be right. She may already *COUGH* be lost... But I can't let go of hope. By now, surely you *COUGH* see who I'm trying to save?"
- "Shovel Knight: .... I do. Do you know a way to bring her back?"
- "Black Knight: I haven't tried anything beyond words. Her magic is so powerful... I didn't have the courage. Go! Just.... don't hurt her, or you'll have to answer to me."
After defeating the Remnant of Fate:
- "Black Knight: Shield Knight!"
- "Shield Knight: Black Knight, thank goodness you're here! Shovel Knight is wounded, take him and get outside!"
- "Black Knight: NO!! I can't leave you behind! How will you escape?"
- "Shield Knight: This magic is too strong! I... CAN'T.... HOLD OUT.... MUCH LONGER....."
- "Black Knight: Run! You can't deflect it, it will tear you apart!"
- "Shield Knight: I'M ... SO HAPPY.... I GOT TO SEE YOU BOTH.... ONE LAST TIME...."
- "Black Knight: SHIELD KNIGHT!!!"
- "Shield Knight: GO! TAKE SHOVEL KNIGHT! SAVE HIM! PROMISE ME YOU'LL SAVE HIM!"
After the ending:
- "Black Knight: Safe at last. I kept my promise, Shield Knight. ..."
- "Black Knight: Rest well, Shovel Knight, until we meet again."
Plague of ShadowsEdit
Plains of Passage:
- "Black Knight: Listen to me, Magicist! I know you’re aiding him in his quest for the Ultimate Potion!"
- "Magicist: Ultimate… what? I haven’t seen him since he fled to join the Order of No Quarter!"
- "Black Knight: Ahh, alchemical trickery. You can’t fool me! I know he plans to use the potion to beguile you!"
- "Magicist: Wait... me?! What are you insinuating-- OH! Someone’s coming!"
- "Black Knight: Oh, it’s the panicky pushover! Is winning the Magicist’s heart worth betraying your allies?"
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee hee, what? Where in the world did you hear that?"
- "Black Knight: And I know how you plan to gather ingredients! The only thing worse than a deranged alchemist.. is a TRAITOR! Do what you will with the Order, but none threaten the Enchantress and live!!"
Wandering across the Valley:
- "Mona: This is all getting too risky. I can’t lose him. I’ll reward you however you want. Just do this for me."
- "Black Knight: Why would you help that miserable lunatic seize power and beguile the Magicist? What’s in it for you?"
- "Mona: Magicist? Are you kidding me? You’re just trying to talk up your asking price."
- "Black Knight: Then there’s the other matter: I can’t be bought at any price."
- "Plague Knight: !!! What are you two doing here?"
- "Mona: So, the Magicist, huh?"
- "Plague Knight: W-what about her? Is she okay?"
- "Mona: Let me ask you something, Plague Knight. Where do *I* fit, in your big plans? Are we partners? Are we more?"
- "Plague Knight: Wait... I..3 I... I..."
- "Black Knight: Look at him, b-b-busted. C-c-can’t even formulate a response. HA HA HA! What a wimp!"
- "Mona: This whole time, I thought we were in this together... was I just a tool to you? I need some time to think about all this."
After Mona leaves:
- "Black Knight: Wow, what was her problem? And lest you think your problems end here, you continue to threaten the Enchantress! Prepare to taste steel!"
At the entrance of the Tower of Fate, before fighting Black Knight:
- "Plague Knight: Black Knight... must I suffer you again?"
- "Black Knight: As long as you pursue the Enchantress, I will pursue you."
- "Plague Knight: Great! Ha ha ha! I can use the entertainment! Just one thing. Why were you talking to Mona?"
- "Black Knight: She was trying to bribe me to give you the Enchantress' Essence without a fight!"
- "Plague Knight: Mona... was looking out for me?"
- "Black Knight: Being INCORRUPTIBLE, of course, I would hear no such talk."
- "Plague Knight: M-Mona... did all that... to protect me.... I MUST HAVE THE POTION! OUT OF MY WAY!!"
After defeating Black Knight:
- "Black Knight: Clearly you care for her, but... why go to such lengths? Why a potion that makes you all-powerful?"
- "Plague Knight: I-I'm not out to rule the world. Heh. I just want to become stronger, and maybe then, she'll love me."
- "Black Knight: Fool! Can't you see that she already does?"
- "Plague Knight: No... the potion is the only way!"
After defeating the Enchantress:
- "Black Knight: No! Stop your assault! Plague Knight, look! I've brought someone!"
- "Mona: Plague Knight! Come to your senses... You don't need to go through this!"
- "Plague Knight: Mona! You don't understand! I was too weak to say it before, but now I can show you I'm good enough!"
- "Mona: Black Knight told me everything. You don't need a potion to win me over. You already have!"
- "Plague Knight: Wh-what? I... But it's too late, I already defeated the Enchantress and began the final distillation!"
- "Black Knight: !!! I was too late! I must go after her! You two - touch nothing until I return!"
Specter of TormentEdit
Plains of Passage:
- "Black Knight: Halt! These foul lands are no place for commoners. Turn back, whoever you are!"
- "Specter Knight: FOOL! I've come here for you. You will kneel before me, bow before the Enchantress, and join her order!"
- "Black Knight: Your cutting words are no march for my cutting blows! I'll teach you a lesson in humility!"
- "Black Knight: Come, Terrorpin, my shelled steed!"
After defeating Black Knight:
- "Black Knight: *pant** pant*...That fighting style...could it be? Donovan!? But you were claimed by the Tower!"
- "Specter Knight: The Tower grows in power each moment. The Enchantress has plans for you, and will grant you what you desire."
- "Black Knight: I won't be led astray. You standing before me means there's hope for the one I seek...I'm glad you are safe, Donovan, but keep your distance. The Donovan I knew would surely know better than to pursue me further."
After completing nine stages
- "Specter Knight: Reize? Where have you gone off to now?"
- "Black Knight: Donovan! This has gone too far! Your meddling across the Valley has impede my search for long enough."
- "Specter Knight: You cannot stop the Enchantress, but as her eight knight, you could roam the Valley as you wish... Even find the one you seek."
- "Black Knight: Never! I would sooner die than join the Enchantress!"
- "The Enchantress: Oh, HO HO HO, that can certainly be arranged."
- "Black Knight: SHIELD KNIGHT!? At last, I've found you! Come, let's leave this place! I will bring you to safety!"
- "Specter Knight: .... Shield Knight?"
- "The Enchantress: Pledge your loyalty to me, Black Knight, as my final knight."
- "Black Knight: W-what's happened to you? Come to your senses at once!"
- "The Enchantress: ...Very well, then. Specter Knight, Dispose of this intruder!"
- "Black Knight: Donovan, this is madness! We have to find a way to reach Shield Knight!"
- "Specter Knight: It was SHIELD KNIGHT all along!! She took everything! The Amulet!! Luan! She stole my very life away! This ends tonight!"
- "Black Knight: No! I must save her! I have to find her before it's too late!"
At the Tower of Fate's entrance:
- "Black Knight: Turn back, Donovan! I won't let you harm her!"
- "Specter Knight: The time for words is over. Her fate is sealed, as was mine. But the boy...he may yet have a chance! STEEL THY SHOVEL!"
After defeating Black Knight:
- "Black Knight: TERRORPIN!!!"
- "Specter Knight: ...Forgive me, but I will be stalled no longer."
- "Specter Knight: There's no hope of stopping her. The Order of No Quarter will sweep through the Land without mercy. She's too strong..."
- "Black Knight: The strength of her former self gives me hope she can be reached."
- "Specter Knight: A fool's errand. She will destroy you, as she did me, and show no remorse. I have no choice but to serve. I am now bound to her, perhaps forever."
- "Black Knight: Then maybe we shall cross paths again. Keep her safe, Donovan... Dark times await us all."
- One reason for a knight to have black armor was to indicate they served no lord. Given that Black Knight is a wholly independent character, enough so that Shovel Knight notes he does not blindly follow, this is quite fitting.
- Black Knights also appear in various Arthurian Legends, where they are usually depicted as errant knights and rivals to White Knights. They are sometimes associated with death.
- Shovel Knight's Mail of Momentum and Plague Knight's Ward Robe uses a similar palette to Black Knight's armor.
- Shovel Knight and Black Knight can be related to Capcom's Mega Man and Proto Man.
- Both are similar in basic design to their counterparts (Shovel Knight to Black Knight and Mega Man to Proto Man), with a few added elements such as Proto Man's helmet and shield, and Black Knight's sharper and over-all more menacing armor.
- Both Black Knight and Proto Man share the trait of having an intense rivalry with the protagonist of their original games, as well as a prior connection to said rivals. These relations to the protagonists have not yet been elaborated on in-game in either series, although there are comic series and the like for the Mega Man series that provide their own detailed interpretations of Proto Man's connection to Mega Man.
- Although there has been no proof of this as of yet, there have been speculations by fans that Proto Man was an inspiration for the character Black Knight.
- In Plague of Shadows, Black Knight is the only character aside from the Wandering Travelers that Plague Knight doesn't try to harvest the essence from.
- However, he becomes a mandatory boss who sticks outside the first Order of No Quarter stage the player clears in the third region and never moves. After his defeat, Mona will leave the Potionarium, and be replaced by Percy.
- In the Tower of Fate: Entrance battle, Black Knight is not seen receiving power from The Enchantress, but already has the power upgrades. This implies that Shovel Knight reached the entrance first.
- The first dialog between Black Knight and Shovel Knight is possible a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. In the film, King Arthur meets a black knight who guards a bridge. The dialog is quite similar: "I have no quarrel with you, good sir knight, but I must cross this bridge." Another parallel between the two is the black knight's response to King Arthur: "I move for no man."
- It is implied that Black Knight has romantic feelings for, or at least was very attached, to Shield Knight, hence his rivalry with Shovel Knight. He was aware of The Enchantress' true identity, which was likely why he was determined to keep Shovel Knight from her and declared how concerned he was to keep her safe, even though he insisted he was not her servant. Additionally, as Shield Knight risked herself to hold back the Remnant of Fate's attack, Black Knight begged for her to stop and wanted her to save herself. Shield Knight also expressed her happiness that she got to see Black Knight once again in addition to Shovel Knight.
- He is the only knight who sometimes has "The" in the beginning of his name.
- Black Knight was supposed to ride Terrorpin in Shovel of Hope, but he was cut and later used in Specter of Torment.
- A common theme across all campaigns appears to be how Black Knight is somehow both one step ahead of the titular protagonists and yet also one step behind.
- In Shovel of Hope, he knows the true identity of The Enchantress way before Shovel Knight does. But at the same time he is not able to act accordingly, opting instead to defend her while hoping that she gets rid of the evil that holds her captive by herself, while keeping away the only person who would be able to help due to his past grudges.
- In Plague of Shadows, he's not only able to disclose Plague Knight's plan to make the Serum Supernus way before it's set in motion, but also figure out that the reason behind such scheme is not world domination but to win the affections of a love interest. Yet he not only fails to correctly guess the target of said affections, but even misunderstands and comes to the conclusion that Plague Knight is a philanderer, who has charmed Mona in doing his dirty work while he aims for another woman.
- In Specter of Torment, after his encounter with Specter Knight he recognized his adversary as Donovan, who he previously thought having been claimed by the Tower of Fate. So he reasons that if he survived, then maybe Shield Knight also did... failing to realize that Specter Knight is an undead, meaning he in fact did not survive at all. And while Black Knight is not wrong in his supposition, its worth noting that every single other knight immediately recognize the undead nature of Specter Knight, while Black Knight is seemingly left in the dark about it.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Shovel Knight • Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Potionarium:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Percy • Oolong|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple • Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize Seatlan • Dark Reize • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||Black Knight • King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall|