|Stage||Plains, Arena, Tower of Fate: Entrance|
|Second Theme||The Defender|
|“||For the last time, I answer to no one!||”|
Black Knight (sometimes 'The Black Knight') is one of many Knights that appear in Shovel Knight. He's Shovel Knight's enigmatic yet good intended rival.
You fight Black Knight three times during the course of the game: Once as the end boss of the Plains, once as a wandering boss after you clear the Lost City, and once as the end boss of Tower of Fate: Entrance.
As the Yin to Shovel Knight's Yang, Black Knight calls nobody master. Clad in obsidian armor, he hounds Shovel Knight to the ends of the Earth, spoiling for a battle. Black Knight’s skill with the Shovel Blade rivals that of Shovel Knight, or so Black Knight hopes to prove! While Shovel Knight is confused as to why he has this mysteriously relentless doppelganger, no number of humiliating defeats by Shovel Knight could dampen Black Knight’s spirit: he will always rise up to fight again!
- Pros: persistent, confident, goal-orientated
- Cons: slightly inept, squeaky voice
As Shovel Knight:Edit
Plains of Passage:Edit
- "Black Knight: I knew you’d show your face sooner or later, the cerulean coward! Turn back, Shovel Knight! There’s nothing here for you anymore."
- "Shovel Knight: Stand aside, Black Knight! I’ve no quarrel with you. I must return to the Tower of Fate!"
- "Black Knight: Your time away has dulled your senses… can’t you see? This entire valley has been conquered by the Enchantress! And her invincible knights of the Order of No Quarter stand between you and the tower! But none of that matters, because anyone after the Enchantress has to go through me. Steel thy shovel!"
Wandering across the PlainsEdit
- "The Enchantress: With you by our side, Black Knight, total dominion is within our grasp."
- "Black Knight: I beg of you, take my words to heart. Your safety is my only concern!"
- "Shovel Knight: Was that The Enchantress? Tell me wh-"
- "Black Knight: You! Haven't you tired of this charade? Stay out of this!"
- "Shovel Knight: You never were one to blindly follow, Black Knight, but the Order and the Enchantress must be stopped!"
- "Black Knight: Fool! You're headed down a ruinous path!"
- "Shovel Knight: The only path I seek leads to the Tower of Fate. And I will reach it."
- "Black Knight: Never! Steel thy shovel!"
At the entrance to the Tower of FateEdit
- "Black Knight: Shovel Knight! Stop your meddling and turn back now! This is your last chance!"
- "Shovel Knight: I will reach her, Black Knight, even if I have to go through you."
- "The Enchantress: Black Knight, are you guarding my tower? Have you finally decided to join us? You may kneel and pledge your loyalty now."
- "Black Knight: For the last time, I answer to no one!"
- "The Enchantress: Very well. Here's a tiny taste of the power you spurned."
- "Shovel Knight: Black Knight!"
- "Black Knight: I warned you to stay away!"
As Plague Knight:Edit
Plains of Passage:Edit
- "Black Knight: Listen to me, Magicist! I know you’re aiding him in his quest for the Ultimate Potion!"
- "Magicist: Ultimate… what? I haven’t seen him since he fled to join the Order of No Quarter!"
- "Black Knight: Ahh, alchemical trickery. You can’t fool me! I know he plans to use the potion to beguile you!"
- "Magicist: Wait… me?! What are you insinuating—oh! Someone’s coming!"
- "Black Knight: Oh, it’s the panicky pushover! Is winning the Magicist’s heart worth betraying your allies?"
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee hee, what? Where in the world did you hear that?"
- "Black Knight: And I know how you plan to gather ingredients! The only thing worse than a deranged alchemist.. is a traitor! Do what you will with the Order, but none threaten the Enchantress and live!!"
Wandering across the Plains:Edit
- "Mona: This is all getting too risky. I can’t lose him. I’ll reward you however you want. Just do this for me."
- "Black Knight: Why would you help that miserable lunatic seize power and beguile the Magicist? What’s in it for you?"
- "Mona: Magicist? Are you kidding me? You’re just trying to talk up your asking price."
- "Black Knight: Then there’s the other matter: I can’t be bought at any price."
- "Plague Knight: !!! What are you two doing here?"
- "Mona: So, the Magicist, huh?"
- "Plague Knight: W-what about her? Is she okay?"
- "Mona: Let me ask you something, Plague Knight. Where do *I* fit, in your big plans? Are we partners? Are we more?"
- "Plague Knight: Wait… I… I… I…"
- "Black Knight: Look at him, b-b-busted. C-c-can’t even formulate a response. Ha ha ha! What a wimp!"
- "Mona: This whole time, I thought we were in this together… was I just a tool to you? I need some time to think about all this."
- "Black Knight: Wow, what was her problem? And lest you think your problems end here, you continue to threaten the Enchantress! Prepare to taste steel!"
At the entrance of the Tower of Fate, before fighting Black Knight:Edit
- "Plague Knight: Black Knight... must I suffer you again?"
- "Black Knight: As long as you pursue The Enchantress, I will pursue you!"
- "Plague Knight: Great! Ha ha ha! I can use the entertainment! Just one thing. Why were you talking to Mona?"
- "Black Knight: She was trying to bribe me to give you The Enchantress' essence without a fight!"
- "Plague Knight: Mona... was looking out for me?"
- "Black Knight: Being incorruptible, of course, I would hear no such talk."
- "Plague Knight: M-Mona... did all that... to protect me... I MUST HAVE THE POTION! OUT OF MY WAY!!"
After defeating Black Knight:Edit
- "Black Knight: Clearly you care for her, but... why go to such lengths? Why a potion that makes you all-powerful? "
- "Plague Knight: I-I'm not out to rule the world. Heh. I just want to become stronger, and maybe then, she'll love me."
- "Black Knight: Fool! Can't you see that she already does?"
- "Plague Knight: No... the potion is the only way!"
As Specter KnightEdit
Plains of PassageEdit
- "Black Knight: Halt! These foul lands are no place for commoners. Turn back, whoever you are!"
- "Specter Knight: Fool! I've come here for you. You will kneel before me, bow before the Enchantress, and join her order!"
- "Black Knight: Your cutting words are no march for my cutting blows! I'll teach you a lesson in humility!"
- "Black Knight: Come, Terrorpin!"
The battles in the Plains of Passage and in the overworld are remarkably similar. Black Knight has some of the same moves as Shovel Knight, including the Shovel Drop. However, he can launch a large purple projectile attack, which can be reflected by attacking it directly with the shovel. During the second battle, he will deflect this back at you if you attempt to deflect it, until he lets his guard down, causing himself to get hit.
In the last battle against him, the battle starts similarly, except when using his purple projectile attack he will instead phase across the screen launching them. After a while during the battle, he will grow wings, which will fire thorns upon being released. In this form he will occasionally summon large meteors to strike the earth, with two meteors staying on the ground, that will cause damage to Shovel Knight upon contact. These cannot be destroyed by Shovel Knight, but can by Black Knight, who will occasionally Shovel Drop onto them, causing them to explode. After a while his wings will disappear and he will retake his previous strategies, occasionally growing them again to restart the cycle. He also has a more powerful Shovel Dirt attack, which will launch multiple debris imbued with purple energy; these can be reflected by attacking with the shovel.
- One reason for a knight to have black armor was to indicate they served no lord. Given that Black Knight is a wholly independent character, enough so that Shovel Knight notes he does not blindly follow, this is quite fitting.
- Black Knights also appear in various Arthurian Legends, where they are usually depicted as errant knights and rivals to White Knights. They are sometimes associated with death.
- Shovel Knight's Mail of Momentum uses a similar palette to Black Knight's armor.
- Besides being similar in basic design to their counterparts, (Shovel Knight to Black Knight and Mega Man to Proto Man) with a few added elements such as Proto Man's helmet and shield, and Black Knight's sharper and over-all more menacing armor, the two share the trait of having an intense rivalry with the protagonist of their original games, as well as a prior connection to said rivals. These relations to the protagonists have not yet been elaborated on in-game in either series, although there are comic series and the like for the Mega Man series that provide their own detailed interpretations of Proto Man's connection to Mega Man.
- Although there has been no proof of this as of yet, there have been speculations by fans that Proto Man was an inspiration for the character Black Knight.
- In the Plague of Shadows the Black Knight is the only character aside from the Wandering Travellers that Plague Knight doesn't try to harvest the essence from.
- However he becomes a mandatory boss who sticks above the Stranded Ship and never moves. After his defeat, Mona will leave the Potionarium.
- The first dialog between the Black Knight and Shovel Knight is possible a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. In the film, King Arthur meets a black knight who guards a bridge. The dialog here is quite similar: "I have no quarrel with you, good sir knight, but I must cross this bridge." Another parallel between the two is the black knight's response to King Arthur: "I move for no man."
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads|