In Shovel of Hope, they only appear once the third quarter of the Valley has been unlocked. There are three Catapults in the Valley each located in one of the safe areas:
- The Village Catapult appears to the right of the tavern. It launches Shovel Knight to the Armor Outpost.
- The Armor Outpost Catapult is on top of the Aerial Anvil. It launches Shovel Knight to the Village.
- The Catapult located in Shortcut? launches Shovel Knight to the Village.
In Plague of Shadows, there are only two Catapults that send Plague Knight to different locations:
- The Armor Outpost Catapult its initially broken and must be fixed by paying Percy 50 Cipher Coins. Upon its first use, it flings Plague Knight into the middle of the Outpost which results in him conquering it. Once this is done this Catapult becomes inaccessible except via the Shortcut? one. By boarding again the Armor Outpost Catapult, it will send Plague Knight to the otherwise inaccessible initial area of the Village.
- The catapult at Shortcut? instead sends Plague Knight to the one at Armor outpost.
- If Shovel Knight has the Ornate Plate equipped, he will land flawlessly instead of crashing into the ground.
- One of Shovel Knight's jokes to Toader mentions the Catapult.
- Both Percy and the Scholar (which both could be the same person) express a deep fondness for the ballistic mechanics of the Catapults.