Custom Knight is the main feature of the Shovel Knight amiibo. It allows players to drastically customize Shovel Knight in the Shovel of Hope campaign. Unlike the other amiibo functions, Custom Knight saves data to the amiibo itself, not the save file.
When first activated Custom Knight starts at level 0. As Custom Knight collects gold, he will level up thereby unlocking new cosmetics and abilities. Most unlocks are random, but every level Custom Knight will gain a palette, and at levels 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30, he will get an increase to health and magic. Each level requires more gold than the level before, with the maximum level being 50.
Initially Custom Knight starts off with two palettes, the default blue and green of the Stalwart Plate. Custom Knight earns a new palette every level gained in a fixed order. In total there are 52 different palettes.
Costumes are the most significant cosmetic; they alter Custom Knight's appearance drastically. Notably there are only two unlock-able costumes, with the Body Swap costume already unlocked
- Female Shovel Knight - The female version of Shovel Knight. This is available from the start, since it was added as an option during the Body Swap and Specter of Torment update.
- Baron Set - A much bulkier armor set with a larger Shovel Blade.
- Fish Head - Replaces Shovel Knight's helmet with a fish head, making him resemble the ???? character from the Armor Outpost.
Special FX Edit
The special effects that Custom Knight can equip come in two different types. A visual effect that will appear as Shovel Knight moves or a small character that will follow Shovel Knight with some unique behavior. None of the characters can exist at the same time with a Fairy Companion summoned by Madame Meeber, with the fairy disappearing if a character FX is chosen, but they will reappear when if the Special FX character is deselected.
- Shadow Trail - generates purple afterimages that follow Shovel Knight
- Fire Wake - Small flames that appear underfoot.
- Shimmer Step - Small sparkles that appear underfoot, similar to the Ornate Plate.
- Cute Bee - A small Bee that hovers near Shovel Knight. It will move toward and fixate on any gold lying around.
- Ghost Friend - A small Invisishade. If Shovel Knight attacks near it, it will retreat and scramble like it's larger counterparts. If hit by a Light Orb it will temporarily disperse entirely.
- Fairy Friend - A small Fairy enemy. It will try to attack nearby enemies, though unsuccessfully. If Shovel Knight dies or use the Feign Death command, the Fairy will bit around his corpse and then disappear.
A special action that Shovel Knight can perform by hold down. These replace Shovel Knight's crouch ability.
- Rainbow Spit - Shovel Knight spews a stream of rainbows similar to those made by the rainbow bridges.
- Wolf Whistle - Shovel Knight whistles loudly. Doing so to Molly will result in her whistling back.
- Annoying Laugh - A somewhat irritating laugh similar to the Black Knight's laugh.
- Feign Death - Shovel Knight keels over. If he has one of the follower Special FX or a Fairy Companion, they will also react.
Custom Knight gives Shovel Knight access to a total of 21 relics made up of his 12 standards relics (counting both Troupple Chalices), 2 of Plague Knight's Arcana (Bait Bomb and Fleet Flask) and 7 entirely new relics:
- Flareo Rod
- Tow Anchor
- Ghost Glove
- Buzzsaw Boomerang (the exact same as the Cogslotter's projectile.)
- Shadow Knight (similar to Specter Knight's Shadow Mirror.)
- Rising Dagger
Abilities that are used by holding down the attack button similar to the charge handle.
- Burrow Bomber - Launches Shovel Knight sidewaysin a spinning motion.
- Flare Razer - Causes an immediate Shovel Drop that spawns flames on either side of Shovel Knight.
- Bomb Burst - Gives Shovel Knight Plague Knight's default Bomb Burst.
- Blink Dash - Shovel Knight dashes forward moving, passing through any enemies or hazards he would have hit.
- Coin Capture - Treasures in a small radius around Shovel Knight are pulled in.
Passive abilities to further augment Shovel Knight.
- Dash Boots - Double tapping sideways to sprint, similar to the Toad Gear.
- Shovel Blade Max - Unlocks the Drop Spark and the Trench Blade. If no other Charge ability is selected it also activates the Charge Handle.
- Glide Cloud - Holding jump will cause Shovel Knight to drift slowly downwards. Doing so also prevent Shovel Knight from charging attacks.
- Double Jump - Gives Shovel Knight a double jump just like Plague Knight!
- Diagonal Drop - Makes the Shovel Drop move at an angle.
- Bounce Bomb - Gives Shovel Knight the default Bomb configuration. Despite this they will still work with Bounce Bushes and the Rainbow Bridge unlike Plague Knight's bombs.