Being a Director for a Day was one of the reward tiers in Shovel Knight's Kickstarter campaign. By donating $1000, backers could become Directors for a Day and work with Yacht Club Games to design a major character, boss, midboss, or scenario. Ten positions were available, but only five were filled. Each of them worked with the game developer to flesh out an idea and add it to the game. Four of the five Directors for a Day added the characters that make up the Wandering Travelers.
The five Directors for a Day and their contributions to Shovel Knight are:
- Max VanDuyne - Liquid Samurai
- Danny D. Henderson Jr. aka "Seizui" - Reize Seatlan
- Steven Ness - Phantom Striker
- Alexander “Hatman” Hatzikides - Mr. Hat
- Matt and Woolie of the Best Friends Zaibatsu - Baz
Mark Bozon from WayForward Technologies was also Director for a Day, but did not contribute to the creation of a character in particular.
- During the end credits of Shovel of Hope, all of the enemies designed by the Directors for a Day can be seen in one scene: the Wandering Travelers facing off against a group of Liquid Samurai.
- In the credits of Plague of Shadows, Shovel Knight is depicting beating the Liquid Samurai and preparing to fight the travelers himself.