The Grave Digger's Shovel is aquired by collecting the Curious Map in the Sony versions of Shovel Knight, and subsequently defeating Kratos in battle. As reward, aside from gaining his respect, he will give you the Grave Digger's Shovel.
Once acquired, you are informed that its purpose is a mystery, but are given a hint that the Armorer could unlock its powers. If it is given to the Armorer, he will seem puzzled by it and hammer on it in an extremelly violent way, to the point which it breaks, he apoligizes, and in return uses the pieces to create the Armor of Chaos.
- When in possesion, it temporarily appears in your Relic HUB.
- If the Shovel Smith is consulted about the Grave Digger's Shovel, he will begrudgingly admit of it being out of his field of expertise and will advise Shovel Knight to ask the Armorer.
- In New Game Plus, Kratos will still reward the Grave Digger's Shovel upon defeat, but if the Armor of Chaos has already been obtained, neither the Armorer nor the Shovel Smith will acknowlege its presence in the inventory.
- The shovel is named for the Grave Digger, a character who appears in God of War and God of War: Ghost of Sparta. Although he appears to be a normal human, the Grave Digger is secretly Zeus in disguise.
- God of War: Ghost of Sparta also contains a Relic of the Gods called "The Grave Digger's Shovel" which unlocks the Grave Digger costume for Kratos. This allows the player to play as Zeus in the game's Combat Arena, similar to how Shovel Knight's Armor of Chaos lets him fight like Kratos.