The Hedge Farmer is an anthropomorphic hedgehog farmer living in the Village in Shovel Knight. He is brother with the Hedge Pupil and 'Edge Farmer. He wears a green coat and a green hat, and carries a shepherd's crook.
Shovel of HopeEdit
In Shovel of Hope, the Hedge Farmer can be found east from the shops, next to a pile of dirt. When questioned by Shovel Knight he express is skepticism about the knight's identity. As proof, he challenges the knight to dig up a nearby pile of dirt.
The Hedge Farmer rubs his chin as he observes Shovel Knight starting to dig. He jumps with joy once the pile completely dug out, exclaiming that "You really are Shovel Knight!"
Depending on how the Dig Pile is dug up, the dialog changes:
- If the Trench Blade upgrade has been purchased, he is more ecstatic than usual, dubbing Shovel Knight "my hero, the Blue Burrower!"
- f the Fishing Pole is used to "dig" the dirt, he comments that you have an unorthodox technique, and questions whether you are actually Shovel Knight.
He reappears in the ending, observing the fall of the Tower of Fate with the rest of the Village and rejoicing at the newfound peace.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
In Plague of Shadows, a picture of the Hedge Farmer can be found in the ruins of his childhood house in the Village's outskirts. A picture on the wall is visible, depicting both Hedge Pupil and Hedge Farmer.
During the endgame, he can be seen rejoicing at the destruction of the Tower of Fate, next to his rebuilt house.
Specter of TormentEdit
During the ending of Specter of Torment, Specter Knight carries an unconscious Reize and deposits him at the doorstep of the hedgehog brothers' house. The door opens as Specter Knight leaves, with two silhouettes matching Hedge Farmer and Pupil appearing behind.
- The Hedge Farmer is probably a reference to Super Mario RPG, in which a skeptical toad asks that Mario jump to prove his identity.
- The Hedge Farmer's nickname for Shovel Knight is probably a reference to Mega Man's unofficial nickname "The Blue Bomber".
- If Shovel Knight has the Armor of Chaos equipped and the Trench Blade upgrade bought, the hedge farmer will still respond saying he dug it up with just one swing, even though he didn't.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King|