When Shovel Knight begins to dig, the Hedge Farmer rubs his chin as he observes. When Shovel Knight has finished digging the pile, Hedge Farmer begins to jump with joy, exclaiming that "You really are Shovel Knight!"
Depending on how the Dig Pile is dug up, the dialog changes:
- If the Trench Blade upgrade has been purchased, he is more ecstatic than usual, dubbing Shovel Knight "my hero, the Blue Burrower!"
- If the Fishing Pole is used to "dig" the dirt, he comments that you have an unorthodox technique, and questions whether you are actually Shovel Knight.
- The Hedge Farmer is probably a reference to Super Mario RPG, in which a skeptical toad asks that Mario jump to prove his identity.
- The Hedge Farmer's nickname for Shovel Knight is probably a reference to Mega Man's unofficial nickname "The Blue Bomber".
- If Shovel Knight has the Armor of Chaos equipped and the Trench Blade upgrade bought, the hedge farmer will still respond saying he dug it up with just one swing, even though he didn't.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King|