|Theme||The Decadent Dandy|
|“||As the embodiment of opulence, I demand tribute!||”|
|“||King Knight isn’t a king, he is a king-themed knight. But that doesn’t stop him from making decrees! As the lord defender of Pridemoor Keep, he commands a formidable army of minions. Experienced with repelling invaders who dare try topple his malevolent monarchy, King Knight is a master of single combat. And because he’s dressed to the nines at almost all times, he’s always ready for a brutal coronation!||”|
- Pros: Commanding presence, charismatic, snappy dresser
- Cons: Not actually a king
|“||King Knight is an overconfident coward that relies on trickery and minions to do his dirty work. As such, his campaign will be full of self aggrandizing and humor!||”|
Original Play Style Ideas Edit
- Build meter with a Kingly Strut, and spend meter for special moves
- Cutting dash attack can propel King Knight across large gaps.
- Cape Flip Reflect – Projectiles are not a problem!
- Royal Decree – Spend money to issue royal decrees and cheat on the level.
As one of the first members of The Order the player can face, King Knight is a fairly simple boss. He moves slowly and in a flashy prideful manner befitting of his personality. His main method of attack is to hop around the stage before executing a paralyzing stomp (if the player is on the ground, they will be stunned for a short time). Should the player fall prey to his attack, King Knight will slowly walk over to them and then strike with his scepter.
King Knight also uses a slashing charge which makes him quickly move in a straight line through the screen. After depleting approximately half his health, he will move into a corner and two horns will launch confetti into the air. While this is a good time to deal damage to him, the confetti will inflict damage to the player as it falls slowly to the ground.
King Knight's stomp will change the floor levels so that the ground is no longer flat with some of the flooring being replaced with pits. He may also move in the air with help of Propeller Rats, leaving him briefly vulnerable, but also moving away from Specter Knight's reach.
His confetti is replaced with playing cards that can be Dash Slashed, each moving in a direction indicated by a corresponding arrow beside each card. He usually uses the Propeller Rats when the player knocks him into a pit he created, but he will also drop cards below him at both sides while hanging onto the rats.
As a playable character Edit
Similarly to Plague Knight in Plague of Shadows and Specter Knight in Specter of Torment, King Knight receives a new sprite set in King of Cards that makes him slightly smaller (almost the same size of Shovel Knight) and with unique animations for walking, jumping, climbing, among others. Unlike Plague Knight and Specter Knight, however, King Knight did not receive much modification in his design.
King Knight can attack by dashing toward enemies with a move called the "King's Shoulder". He can dash in the air, too. Hitting an enemy, a rough wall, or any object this way will send him into a twirl in which he can bounce off enemies like Shovel Knight, however, this action seems to be manually controlled.
His life meter is in the form of red hearts. He can also pick up hearts when damaging enemies, which recover health. He uses another form of relics, this time called Heirlooms. King Knight's magic, called Vigor, is numerical as opposed to a meter. Like the previous two campaigns, this one features another unique kind of currency.
Shovel of HopeEdit
Before his boss fight:
- "King Knight: An interloper is in our midst! Begone from our throne room, knave!"
- "Shovel Knight: I'm no more an intruder than you! You aren't even a real king!"
- "King Knight: Oh, but you're mistaken. The Enchantress saw me for my fabulously regal self, and now all bow before me!"
- "Shovel Knight: You're naught but a decadent dandy! Prepare to taste justice! Shovel justice!"
- "King Knight: SILENCE!!!"
Plague of ShadowsEdit
Before his boss fight:
- "King Knight: Plague Knight!? You double-crossing constable of crucibles!"
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee hee! Having fun in your little kingdom? Oh, ha ha ha, sorry, I meant "KINGDOM!""
- "King Knight: Oh, this lavish lifestyle is in my blood, peon! Bask in the glimmering grace... of a true monarch! As the embodiment of opulence, I demand tribute!"
- "Plague Knight: AAAA-HA-HA! Let's have that essence. I think I'll take that nice crown, too!"
Specter of TormentEdit
Before his boss fight:
- "King Knight: Oh, look, it's the loyal lapdog. Here to do your master's bidding, hmmm? Chasing your tail around the valley must be tiring. In fact, you look like death! Ha ha!"
- "Specter Knight: As our leader suspected, you dawdle and play at nobility. I've been tasked with setting you back on schedule."
- "King Knight: What should I do, grab a shovel and start digging? Just thinking about it makes my flawless face flush! Working is for commoners! But I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. WATCH!"
At the Tower of Fate's banquet:
- "King Knight: Ah, look, the sniveling servant, here to wait on me. Hey, you! Servant! Yes, you! More chickens at once! HA HA HA! GLAMOUROUS!"
Stage Introduction SplashesEdit
- Let's Get Royal
- A Battle Royale
- Reign of Decadence
- Gold and Glory
- For Royalty
- Make Way
- Shine Your Crown
- Do Your Best
- After the player defeats The Order of No Quarter again in the Tower of Fate and rescues them, if the player has Ornate Plate equipped, King Knight will mention how Shovel Knight has "picked up" his style if spoken to.
- Like the other Dig the Vote winners he has a steam emoticon.
- King Knight's crown is not made of real gold, as discovered by Plague Knight after defeating him in Plague of Shadows. This is likely a reference to the story of Archimedes, a scientist who was tasked with determining whether or not the King's crown was made entirely of gold, or if the King had been tricked. Archimedes determines at the end of the story that the crown was mostly not made from gold.
- An old teaser of King Knight's game-play showed that some of his mobility relies on jumping on top of enemies, and bouncing across them. Yacht Club Games also stated that his movement would also involve a Propeller Rat, which plays a role in his Boss Fight in Specter of Torment.
- It is implied in King Knight's dialogue in Specter of Torment that he was already serving the Enchantress before the game, but slacking off on the job. Specter Knight was sent to straighten him up in his duties, and during the ending, King Knight finally takes over Pridemoor Keep.
- King Knight's punishment after the defeat of the Enchantress in the first two campaigns is a reference to the ending cutscene of the infamous CD-i game Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon. In that game, felon Duke Onkled betrayed his cousin, King Harkinian, for power and is forced to "scrub all the floors in Hyrule" as punishment.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Shovel Knight • Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Potionarium:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Percy • Oolong|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple • Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize Seatlan • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||Black Knight • King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall|
- ↑ http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-press-kit/ ("Coming Soon" section)