New Game Plus is a game mode in Shovel Knight unlocked after completing the game on a savefile. At that point, when you select that save file, the game will prompt you to restart the game in New Game Plus. This will restart the game, but retain all unlocked Upgrades, Relics and Music Sheets. In New Game Plus, gameplay is similar to the regular gameplay, but with a few key differences:
- Enemies do twice as much damage to players.
- There are fewer healing items found in stages. Most notably, all turkeys in the game (except during Battle Royale) are replaced with bombs. During the Battle Royale, half of the platters still hold a turkey, the other half are bombs.
- Stages contain fewer Checkpoints.
- In Specter of Torment, the player's Will and Darkness meters are combined into a single meter that is constantly draining on its own. Because of this, the Will Skull cannot be used.
- At full wisp upgrades, the player will have 260 "Darkness+Will" value in total. Be careful, however, that Frost Wizzems can deal 60 damage in a single hit, and there are more.
- The save file still shows split meters.