The Passmaster is quite welcoming and friendly towards Shovel Knight, despite his appearance. He always refers to him as "warrior" and complements his performance in the arena regardless of how he did. He also is the source of where Shovel Knight can decide if he wants to view or record his Battle Ghost.
The origins of The Passmaster remain somewhat a mystery, but he can, not surprisingly, always be found in the Streetpass Arena, near the passage that only he has the ability to open and close. According to one of the Adventurers in the arena, (the human one in the form of a red-haired villager) the Passmaster is undefeated in the arena. He also says that through consistent training, Shovel Knight may one day live up to his glory.
Talking to the Passmaster without any streetpass:
- "Passmaster: SORRY, WARRIOR! It appears you have no streetpasses yet! But welcome back to the Streetpass Arena, all the same!"
- "Passmaster: Would you like to record a new battle ghost or view your last recording?"
- "Passmaster: EXCELLENT! Let's have a look at your amazing tactical performance, shall we?"
- "Passmaster: Well now, that was some quality entertainment!"
- "Passmaster: Excellent! The arena awaits! Best of luck! NYAH HAH HAH HAH!"
- "Passmaster: You completed your recording. Make sure to come back to battle other ghosts through streetpass!"
- "Passmaster: WHAT!? Gather your wits, and then return! The Streetpass Arena will be waiting! NYAH HAH HAH HAH!"