This article has insufficient information. Feel free to assist the
Shovel Knight Wiki by expanding it!
|“||My heart grows cold... I have located new Curios, but have you found any Red Skulls?||”|
|Locations||Tower of Fate|
Red is a character in Specter of Torment. Specter Knight can trade Red Skulls with him in exchange for new Curios. He was a Curio hunter in his life, so he can locate the ones that are hidden in the Tower of Fate and take Specter Knight to their locations to retrieve them. The reason he accepts Red Skulls as currency is because he's trying to find his lost lover, Scarlet.
Specter of TormentEdit
When buying a Curio, you are forced to enter a gauntlet where it is being guarded. These locations are normally cursed, forcing you to use the curio instead of your other attacks. However, ambient Darkness is available in case you get low on Darkness. The only exception is the Shadow Mirror, which requires scythe swings to function.
After you have completely finished buying Curios, Red will begin buying skulls at a price of 500 gold each, the same as giving a Music Sheet to Bard or Percy in the other adventures. Only now can you give him Scarlet's skull if you have it in your possession.
He is a red skeleton with a black and red outfit and a hat with a large feather in it. He is often seen holding a Red Skull in his hand.
- "Red: My beloved, my betrothed! My heart breaks, for her crimson skull lies misplaced. Oh to SEE HER CRIMSON FACE ONCE MORE! If you should happen upon a Red Skull, even a hundred of them, then I BEG YOU! PLEASE! Bring them all to me. In a past life I hunted Curios, but I'd trade them all away just to see my love again. Surely these would interest you?"
When Specter Knight doesn't have enough Red Skulls for a Curio:
- "Red: You'll need to bring me more Red Skulls for that one."
When choosing a Curios to find:
- "Red: AH! This Curio is well guarded! While I can lead you there, you'll have to battle your way out!"
When entering a Curio stage with a curse:
- "Red: It would seem that a curse has been placed here. I'm afraid your scythe will be of no use. Why is that, you ask? SORRY, but that's an ancient skeleton secret. We'll regroup ahead. Tread CAREFULLY!"
When entering a Curio stage without a curse:
- "Red: Oh! It appears that this room isn't cursed. You might be wondering why that is... I'm sorry, but that's ANOTHER ancient skeleton secret. Now, MAKE HASTE!"
When completing a Curio stage:
- "Red: Excellent! Away we go!"
and going back to the hub:
- "Red: That Curio is is no mere bauble... Use it wisely."
When entering a new Curio stage with a curse:
- "Red: This area is cursed as well. Tread carefully!"
When returning to Red and Curio stages are available:
- "Red: My heart grows cold... I have located new Curios, but have you found any Red Skulls?"
When there is no new Curios available:
- "Red: Alas, I am still hunting for new Curios to trade. I suppose you have important work to do, but please.. don't forget us!"
When bringing Red skulls but all Curios have been acquired:
- "Red: OH! You have [x] Red Skulls! I'll pay you 500 gold for each of them! Please! Quickly!"
After receiving Scarlet's skull:
- "Red: O, WOE! How I long to become lost in her empty gaze! I cannot stand to see another Red Skull! NOT ONE MORE! O, how her delicate mandibles clattered with laughter! ..Her beautiful brow ridge, so arched! Perfect.. um.. eye sockets... Wait a tic... I... I can't believe it...... IT'S HER! We've found her! AT LAST!"
- "Scarlet: ... Red? Red, my love.. is it really you?"
- "Red: Yes! I've been searching an eternity! My sweet Scarlet. I'LL NEVER LET YOU GO AGAIN! My heart soars with joy! This calls for a celebration! Join us in the ballroom, Specter Knight!"
In the ballroom:
- "Red: Now that we're reunited, the ceremony can finally begin! Maestro, please!"
After the dance:
- "Red: You have our deepest thanks, Specter Knight.I hope you enjoyed the show!"
- "Specter Knight: ..."
- "Red: HOW JOYOUS! Let's head back, shall we?"
If there are still Red Skulls to be brought to Red:
- "Red: I'll find a way to repay you! Until then, please bring me more Red Skulls. Perhaps we could collect them all?"
When bringing more Red Skulls:
- "Red: Excellent! My collection grows! Perhaps soon we'll find every Red Skulls!"
After bringing the last Red Skulls:
- "Red: HAHA, that's the last one! Well done! As thanks, I've prepared a little surprise. Follow me once more into the Tower depths!"
- "Red: Would you look at this rubble! What possibly could have happened here?"
- "Specter Knight: ... Who could say..."
- "Red: Impeccable, isn't it? Really, it's like it was made just for you!"
- "Specter Knight: ..."
- "Red: I found these alongside it. Not quite magical enough for my tastes. Hardly worthy of being called a Curio."
- "Specter Knight: ...Thank you, Red."
- "Red: The pleasure is all mine. Both of us might be a touch too sentimental for undead life, HA HA..."
- "Red: I don't know what you've been plotting against the Enchantress, but be careful, Specter Knight."
Back to the hub:
- "Red: Stay safe out there, Specter Knight... My friend."
- When entering the Will Skull's chamber, Specter Knight will not land on his feet and will be reduced to half a health bubble at the start of the escape.
- In the gauntlets, when you die you don't lose any money.
- After collecting all 100 Red Skulls, he gives Specter Knight the Donovan Set and Caltrops.
- If Scarlet is found before the end of Specter of Torment, Red can be seen dancing with her in a house at the Lich Yard in the ending. Otherwise, he will be alone during this part of the ending.
- The character maybe a reference to the character 'Red' from the movie the Shawshank Redemption. They are similar in name, in purpose (being the guy who can get you things) and both have a similar kind of hat (Shovel Knight-Red has an added feather).
- The dance he and Scarlet perform is a popular Hispanic dance called "Jarabe Tapatío."
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize Seatlan • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||Black Knight • King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall|