|Stage||Memory of Conflict (Specter of Torment)|
|Theme||Go No Further!|
|“||You knew I was still there, even though it seemed hopeless. You never gave up on me!||”|
|“||Often, the best offense is a good defense, and Shield Knight knows it. Wielding a pair of Asymmetrical Shields, she deflects both melee and projectile attacks easily before getting into range and crushing her foes! For years, Shield Knight and Shovel Knight were inseparable partners in adventuring; with their expert use of unconventional weapons, they worked as one. Now, Shield Knight’s fate is unknown, but Shovel Knight’s goal is clear: he must journey to find Shield Knight, his lost beloved.||”|
- Pros: Confident, Powerful, and Tenacious
- Cons: Occasional Recklessness
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an event that occurs later in the game.
Shield Knight was a noble and daring wandering knight, travelling across the Valley together with her partner and lover Shovel Knight. They were also close friends with the brash but well intended Black Knight, who began to hold strong feelings towards Shield Knight.
Eventually Shield Knight and Shovel Knight heard the tales of the dark powers of the cursed amulet held in the Tower of Fate, and decided to destroy it for good. But concurrently another group, composed of the rogues Luan and Donovan, sought to claim the artifact for themselves, in hopes to protect Luan’s son from his own recklessness.
The two groups reached the amulet resting chamber at the same time, with Luan and Donovan meeting face to face with Shield Knight, who had apparently run ahead of her companion. Shield Knight tried to dissuade the two men from their purposes, but Donovan, full of mistrust and contempt towards knights (and perhaps partially brainwashed by the amulet's dark influence), refused to heed her warnings, engaging in a vicious clash with her. The skirmish compromised the stability of the room, resulting in the floor caving in and plummeting both Luan and Donovan to their deaths into the dark abyss below. Due to this, Donovan began harboring a deep grudge against her, blaming her for his misfortunes.
Left alone in the room with the cursed amulet, Shield Knight, maybe weakened by her fight with Donovan, almost was immediately overwhelmed by its powers. Her personality became twisted and warped by the evil magic, transforming her into a dark witch known as The Enchantress. It appears to be said metamorphosis that caused Shovel Knight to pass out and, while unconscious, he was somehow expelled from the Tower, maybe by the amulet, an unknown third party, or The Enchantress herself.
Shield Knight, conscious inside the witch but powerless to stop her, was objectively held hostage within her own body while the dark witch began her plans of conquest. Withdrawn in the innermost parts of the Tower, she was biding her time in wait of the completion of her armies.
Meanwhile Shovel Knight, once he recoverd his senses, tried to re-enter the Tower, but found the way sealed and completly impenetrable. Assuming the worst for his beloved companion, Shovel Knight was struck with overwhelming grief and decided to retire to a life of solitude. This exacerbated his rivalry with Black Knight, who saw him as a coward who was unable to protect Shield Knight.
Eventually Black Knight began searching for Shield Knight, which lead him inside the Tower of Fate. He personally met the Enchantress, instantly recognizing Shield Knight behind her new appearance. Unfortunately, the reveal of her true identity pushed Donovan, now transformed by The Enchantress into the grim Specter Knight, into an unstoppable rage. As such, he swore vengeance in retaliation to the abuse he suffered under her hand.
Black Knight tried to reason with him out of concern for both his old friend and Shield Knight, but Specter Knight defeated him, continuing his voyage across the innermost parts of the Tower. He directly confronted the Enchantress, but it only lead to ruinous consequences for the undead warrior.
Black Knight, scared by her overwhelming powers, resolved to protect The Enchantress from afar, while hoping that Shield Knight would being able to remove the darkness binding her soul.
However, with her conquest of the Valley, The Enchantress consequently brought up whispers among the people that the Tower of Fate had unsealed itself. This sparked hope in Shovel Knight to discover what happened to Shield Knight. He met obstruction from both the Enchantress’s Order of No Quarter and Black Knight, who blamed the burrower for failing to save Shield Knight. He was also fighting against his own feelings of guilt, every night dreaming of trying of save Shield Knight but being unable to properly reach her.
Shovel Knight eventually guessed the truth behind the identity of the Enchantress, but even after the witch tried to exploit her shared existence with Shield Knight, Shovel Knight remained stalwart in his goals and fought the Enchantress, weakening her just enough for Shield Knight to break free from her snare.
Shovel Knight and Shield Knight shared a tender reunion. But unfortunately it was cut short, because despite the end of the Enchantress as an individual, her raw strength and magic recombined, condensing themselves in the monstrous Remnant of Fate, an abomination moved only by a desire of total destruction.
Thanks to the efforts of Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, and the crumbling of the Tower initiated by Plague Knight sacrificing the Ultimate Potion, the Remnant of Fate was stopped, but with its remaining strength it injured Shovel Knight, forcing Shield Knight to stay behind to block this last powerful attack while Black Knight took him to safety.
Glad to have the opportunity to see her two friends one last time, Shield Knight was prepared to perish under the rubble of the Tower or be torn apart by the Remnant‘s magic. But against all odds, she survived. Injured but alive, a limping Shield Knight rejoined with an unconscious Shovel Knight, and not wanting to interrupt his sleep, leaned beside him, falling peacefully asleep.
In battle, Shield Knight will run back and forth across the arena, using her large shield to block any frontal attacks as she rushes forward. She's capable of throwing her shield, which will return back to her shortly after it's thrown, but it leaves her wide open while the shield is away from her. Also, Shield Knight will perform a shield bash in which she charges forward shield first, and if she rams into either of the walls, it will cause a row of blocks from the ceiling to fall, possibly dealing damage if Donovan fails to avoid it. During the shield bash she also become immune to the Caltrops. Eventually, as her health reaches a low point, Shield Knight will also throw her smaller shield, which will bounce around the arena in a random pattern.
Shovel of HopeEdit
After defeating the Enchantress:
Should Shovel Knight fail to catch Shield Knight in his arms after The Enchantress defeat, her first line of dialogue will change from "... you caught me" to "... you came for me".
- "Shield Knight: ...You caught me."
- "Shovel Knight: If only I had known, I would have come sooner!"
- "Shield Knight: You knew I was still there, even though it seemed hopeless. You never gave up on me!"
- "Shovel Knight: I will NEVER give up on you. I will follow you to the end of the world."
- "Shield Knight: It appears that maybe you have."
- "Shovel Knight: What's happening!?"
- "Shield Knight: Oh, no... When the amulet shattered, the magic within it was released! It's already gathering. It will escape and wreak havoc on everything..."
- "Shovel Knight: Unless we stop it."
- "Shield Knight: Unless we stop it! We can destroy it for good, here and now!"
- "Shovel Knight: But we're both weak from battle!"
- "Shield Knight: I've never been more ready. Come on, Shovel Knight, let's fight together, like old times! Now... stay close to me!"
After defeating the Remnant of Fate:
- "Shield Knight: It's over, Shovel Knight. This place is falling apart. We have to get out of here!"
- "Shovel Knight: Let's go! I know a path back that will leaves us unharmed."
Shovel Knight is wounded:
- "Black Knight: Shield Knight!"
- "Shield Knight: Black Knight, thank goodness you're here! Shovel Knight is wounded, take him and get outside!"
- "Black Knight: NO!! I can't leave you behind! How will you escape?"
- "Shield Knight: This magic is too strong! I... CAN'T.... HOLD OUT.... MUCH LONGER....."
- "Black Knight: Run! You can't deflect it, it will tear you apart!"
- "Shield Knight: I'M ... SO HAPPY.... I GOT TO SEE YOU BOTH.... ONE LAST TIME...."
- "Black Knight: SHIELD KNIGHT!!!"
- "Shield Knight: GO! TAKE SHOVEL KNIGHT! SAVE HIM! PROMISE ME YOU'LL SAVE HIM!"
Specter of TormentEdit
Before her fight:
- "Luan: Is... Is that the AMULET?"
- "Donovan: It's ours! Finally!"
- "Shield Knight: Stay where you are! That amulet has powers far beyond your control! I am here to destroy it, once and for all!"
- "Luan: But... I seek only to protect my son! My intentions are pure!"
- "Shield Knight: Protect him, then, by fleeing this place and never looking back!"
- "Donovan: ...Heh. You want it for yourself. You can't fool me. Luan, would you do the honors?"
- "Luan: Just a moment! If what she's saying is true, then... Might we be a bit more cautious?"
- "Donovan: You would let some pompous knight tell us what we can and can't take? Who is this busybody anyway?"
- "Shield Knight: I am Shield Knight, and I will not let you pass!"
After the fight:
- "Luan: Donovan! The tower crumbles around us! We must leave at once!"
- "Donovan: I never knew you as a coward, Luan! We'll leave once we have our prize!"
- "Shield Knight: STAY AWAY! You meddle with forces you do not understand!"
- "Luan: Please, Donovan, I'M BEGGING YOU! Leave the Amulet, it's not worth it!"
- "Donovan: NEVER! OUT OF MY WAY!"
- "Donovan: And you! You won't stop me either! Have at you!"
- In her original concept, Shield Knight was a princess-like character simply named "Beloved". Like in the final game, Shovel Knight was supposed to defeat the Enchantress to save her. However, he didn't know that his beloved was turned into her foe, and ended killing her in the process and later burying her with his own shovel. The character was changed because the developers wanted her to be an equal partner to Shovel Knight as opposed to a traditional damsel in distress. The ending was changed around December 2013 as the developers judged it too grim for the game's tone.
- The Beloved's only two sprites can still be found in the game among the Village's NPC files, where she is simply named "Princess".
- In some of her early sketches, Shield Knight carried a lance and sported a different armor to give her, in addition of her winged helmet and large shield, a Valkyrie-like appearance. Her armor was changed to be slightly similar to Shovel Knight's and reinforce the concept of them being partners..
- There is an official key art of her without her helmet, only seen in the official artbook, depicting her with long tan hair.
- She is the only named female knight.
- She and Polar Knight are the only knights whose helmets don't cover most of their faces.
- Shield Knight is the only boss that's fought in a special minor stage, which in this case is the Tower of Fate flashbacks in Specter of Torment.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Shovel Knight • Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Potionarium:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Percy • Oolong|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple • Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize Seatlan • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||Black Knight • King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall|