This article has insufficient information. Feel free to assist the
Shovel Knight Wiki by expanding it!
|Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment|
|Developer(s)||Yacht Club Games|
|Publisher(s)||Yacht Club Games|
|Platform(s)||Windows, Mac, Linux/Steam OS, Wii U, 3DS, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Release date(s)||March 3rd, 2017 Nintendo Switch|
April 5th, 2017 PC, Steam, JP Wii U, JP 3DS
|“||Slash and dash through the tragic prequel!||”|
Notably, unlike Plague Knight in Plague of Shadows, Specter Knight's play style is very different from his boss fight. The levels are also heavily altered and the story is totally different from the Main Story Line, Shovel of Hope.
Major Differences from Shovel of Hope Edit
- The story is a prequel to both Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows.
- The Health bar is green and is labeled "Will".
- Magic, renamed "Darkness" is refilled by collecting Darkness Jars, which may drop from opponents, breakable objects, and torches.
- Will and Darkness can be increased permanently by opening Wisp Chests hidden in each stage.
- Curios are Specter Knight's Relic equivalents, which allows the use of special abilities.
- Similarly to Plague of Shadows' Cipher Coins, Specter Knight can unlock more Curios by collecting Red Skulls.
- Much like Plague Knight, Specter Knight has a very short jump.
- Specter Knight can perform an attack called Dash Slash against enemies and certain objects while airborne; a gash will appear on the target, and if the attack button is pressed, Specter Knight will fly through the target with a scythe attack. This can only be done if the player has obtained the Judgement Rush curios.
- Specter Knight will Dash Slash downward/upwards if he is above/below his target, respectively.
- He can also perform Chain Dash Slashes by hitting opponents/objects multiple times.
- Specter Knight can climb up walls and also perform wall-jumps.
- If Specter Knight gets to the top of a wall, he will automatically flip up to the adjacent surface.
- Specter Knight can not climb certain surfaces. The surfaces he can not climb all share a texture that varies depending on what stage you're in.
- There are new enemies, mini-bosses and Bosses. Some optional Bosses were removed and the existing Bosses also have different attacks or variation from before.
- Core stages are heavily altered to accommodate Specter Knight's Abilities. Some of the levels(mostly optional) were removed but there are new set of levels exclusive to his campaign. Most notable removal is that there is no variation of the Battle Royal in his campaign.
- Specter Knight's base of operations is the Tower of Fate. There, levels are selected at a Dark Portal as opposed to a World Map. All 9 major stages are accessible in the beginning and can be completed in any order.
- Specter Knight's extra stages happens as a Flashback story after completing a set number of levels He also have Boss encounters inside the Tower of Fate replacing the optional World Map Bosses.
- The Phantom Striker is encountered as the Lich Yard's Boss replacing Specter Knight.
- There is a new Tower Climbing mini game in replacement to Mona's Potion Mini game.
Plot of Specter of Torment EditIntroduction:
Long Ago, The Lands were untamed, and roamed by legendary Adventurers! But although the land is peaceful... For some, freedom is a far gone memory. Specter Knight, servant to The Enchantress, has been given a harrowing task. He must recruit a group of Knights and form an invincible order! With each member gathered, a treasured keepsake grows in power...an artifact that can restore his humanity, but only when his task is complete. Now, he leaves the confines of the Tower of Fate. It's time for the reaper to pursue his quarry...
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an upcoming episode.
The Plains - Black Knight Edit
Specter Knight begins his quest during the twilight to search for the first Knight. He finds Black Knight and forces him to Join the Order of No Quarter. Black Knight refuses and instead summons Terropin, his shelled steed, and battles Specter Knight. After Specter Knight wins, Black Knight recognizes Specter Knight's fighting style and realizes that his true identity is Donovan. However, he still refuses to join the Order, so Specter Knight leaves him and returns to the Tower of Fate.
Tower of Fate 1
As Specter Knight sits on his favorite spot, the Enchantress appears before him. She asks if Black Knight joined their ranks. Specter Knight replies that neither words or force was able to persuade him and that Black Knight persist on his own quest. The Enchantress, disappointed, commands Specter Knight to go and gather the other Knights immediately before leaving. Specter Knight is greeted by the Dark Acolyte who operates the Magic Mirror which can open a Dark Portal that can instantly take him to the location of the other potential Knights who could join the Order. The locations and knights are:
Stranded Ship - Polar Knight
Explodatorium - Plague Knight
Pridemoor Keep - King Knight
Lost City - Mole Knight
Clockwork Tower -Tinker Knight
Iron Whale - Treasure Knight
Flying Machine - Propeller Knight
The Lich Yard - Phantom Striker