This article has insufficient information. Feel free to assist the
Shovel Knight Wiki by expanding it!
|“||"Let us dance together into the abyss!||”|
|Stage||Tower of Fate: ???|
|“||Of all the monsters roaming Shovel Knight’s world, none are as dangerous as the Enchantress. Cold, brilliant, and pulsing with vile power, the Enchantress is a preternatural force. Her Order of No Quarter carries out her will with ruthless might, although her origins remain shrouded in mystery. With a loyal army under her command, she is more than a match for a solitary knight with a lowly shovel... or so she assumes!||”|
- Pros: intelligence, magical prowess, healthy glow
- Cons: no sense of humor, seems sad sometimes...
The Enchantress is a fairly simple boss, well it would be if the floor wasn't breakable, so it isn't a good idea to Shovel Drop too much in this fight. The Enchantress starts throwing magic orbs that can be bounced backed if the orbs are thrown horizontally. She repeats this for a while until she goes up and starts throwing the orbs downwards, destroying some of the floor. After this part she will dive like a hawk to Shovel Knight, this would be a good time to Shovel Drop The Enchantress. She will then go down the floor and start destroying the floor with fire, which is a warning Shovel Knight that a piece of the floor will be taken down or put back up. Note that this fire can still hurt Shovel Knight.
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an event that occurs later in the game.
The early stages of the origin of The Enchantress are mostly wrapped in mystery and lacking in details. What is known is that at some point, by means and reasons unknown, a magic amulet containing the power over life and death came into existence, but said power was of evil nature. The amulet would under unknown circumstances end up being enshrined in the Tower of Fate, a solitary and half crumbling fortress of unknown history located in the far east of the Valley, which was or became home to many questionably dark creatures. Tales about the amulet would eventually leak out among the populace, with those of its great powers being apparently more widespread compared to the ones about his dark nature.
An unspecified, but probably long, time later, two adventurers, Luan and Donovan, heard of its powers and, due to Luan fears for his son wellbeing, sought to claim the artifact for themselves, in hopes to protect the boy from his own recklessness. But concurrently another group, the duo of wandering knights Shovel Knight and Shield Knight, decided to seek out the amulet in order to destroy its evil power for good.
With both groups reaching the amulet resting chamber at the same time, Luan and Donovan found themselves face to face with Shield Knight, who had apparently run ahead of her companion. Full of mistrust and contempt towards knights, and perhaps partially brainwashed by the amulet's dark influence, Donovan refused to heed Shield Knight warnings and step aside, engaging in a vicious clash with her. The skirmish destabilized the stability of the room, resulting in the floor to cave in and plummet both Luan and Donovan to their deaths into the dark abyss below.
Left alone in the room with the cursed amulet, Shield Knight, maybe because she was weak from her fight with Donovan, almost immediately got overwhelmed by its powers. Her personality became twisted and warped by the evil magic, transforming her in a dark witch known as The Enchantress. It appears to be implied that it was said metamorphosis that caused the then catching up Shovel Knight to pass out and, while unconscious, was somehow expelled from the Tower, maybe by the amulet itself, an unknown third party, or by The Enchantress herself.
Lusting for total domination, the newly born Enchantress reached out for a dying and full of regrets Donovan. The dark sorceress promised him to extend his life, in exchange to his servitude as her enforcer, tasked to gather an order of knights strong enough to conquer the entire Valley in her name. Once said duties were fulfilled, she would provide him the means to completely restore his life.
Backed in a corner, Donovan was left with no other choice but accept. Satisfied, The Enchantress proceeded to create out of thin air an unearthly, grim scythe and with it, she struck Donovan, transfiguring him into a scythe-wielding specter, an undead shell of his former self. She then took his beloved locket, and infused it with a powerful magic: with each knight fallen under her command the locket would charge in strength until eight of them were united, granting the trinket the necessary power to reverse death and restore life, but once and once only. With her puppet ready, the Enchantress unleashed his newly dubbed Specter Knight on the unsuspecting Valley.
Many of the most ill-famed or misunderstood inhabitants of the Tower and the surrounding Valley would end up swearing alligeance to The Enchantress, out of both awe and fear of her monstruous powers, with the undead folk in particular doing so also out of boredom of their eternal existence and in search for guidence. Some of the most ancient ones, like Horace, chose instead to remain neutral. The now de facto leader of the dilapidated fortress, The Enchantress withdraw herself in the innermost parts of the Tower, biding her time in wait of the completion of her armies.
Meanwhile Shovel Knight, once he recovered his senses, tried to re-enter the Tower, but found the way sealed and completely impenetrable. Assuming the worst for his beloved companion, Shovel Knight was struck with overwhelming grief and decided to retire to a life of solitude. This further exacerbated his rivalry with Black Knight, who come up to see him as a coward who was unable to protect Shield Knight.
The events of King of Cards happens around this time, resulting in King Knight being the first to adhere to the Enchantress's cause.
Eventually Specter Knight tried to coerce his old friend Black Knight into subservience, but the attempt not only ended up in failure but also spurred him in begin his search for Shield Knight. Returned to base with the tail between his legs, Specter Knight was then personally visited by The Enchantress herself, annoyed by the setback, threatening heavy repercussions if progress would not be made swiftly.
Not longer after that however, The Enchantress was bothered by an unexpected event. Reize was in fact able to boldly sneak inside the Tower, wishing to get rid of the evil inside it. The Enchantress found the reckeless lack of fear of the young adventurer endearing and she also keenly saw beyond Specter Knight's panicked attempts to make her ignore the boy. So she opted to make Reize hers, blasting him with a corrupting darkness. Ending up twisted not unlike her, Reize quickly swore alligiance to The Enchantress, who then decided to appoint her new bodyguard as a replacement for the Dark Acolyte duties, who was deemed too cowardly, and, for her own amusement, to throw the poor sap into the dungeon beneath the Tower.
Her plans continued to proceed undisturbed until her Order of No Quarter was almost completed, recruiting in its ranks several notorious individuals, one of which was the umpredictable alchemist Plague Knight. However Black Knight decided to put a stop to Specter Knight, whose exploits had began to plunge the Valley into chaos, hindering his search for Shield Knight. With the help of his turtle steed Terropin, Black Knight burrowed a tunnel through the dungeon, bypassing the seal and storming the Tower.
Allerted of his presence, The Enchantress manifested before him and Specter Knight, personally commanding him to serve her or be destroyed. But her offer was met with confusion from Black Knight, as he recognized her as Shield Knight. Annoyed, The Enchantress teleported away, leaving to Specter Knight the duty to dispose of the intruder.
But the reveal of her true identity pushed Specter Knight into un unstoppable rage, for he not only had been bossed around, treated like a dog and stripped of his freedom, but the person doing so was the one he held responsible for all of his misfortunes in the first place. She even dared to harm Reize, who was the beloved son of his friend Luan. Unwilling to serve her any longer, he swore vengeance, which he intended to fulfill immediatly.
Overcoming the traps and obstacles of the innermost parts of the Tower and defeating Black Knight, who tried to reason with him out of concern for both his old friend and Shield Knight, Specter Knight directly confronted the Enchantress. Irritated by his insubordination, the witch toyed with him and after brief clash, she summoned Reize and, just to spite Specter Knight, further corrupted him into Nightmare Reize.
Specter Knight defeated even this foe, and tried to reject his subservience to her, but was forced to instead fully embrace it when she threated to instead take Reize. With all eight knights reunited, the locket reached its full power, and Specter Knight chose to use it on Reize instead to himself, purging him from The Enchantress magic, somenthing that The Enchantress had planned to happen. With Specter Knight now completly under her control and without hope to escaping it, she punished him for his previous insubordination with an eternal guard position in the Lich Yard, laughing while a silently tormenting Specter Knight carried an injuried Reize to safety. The experience utterly crushed Specter Knight spirit, making him losing all hope to ever see freedom again and the Enchantress defeated.
With her army complete, The Enchantress swept the Valley like a storm, even spearheading herself an assault to the Armor Outpost. Her Order placed Locked Gates all over the land, virtually conquering all inches of it. Black Knight, scared by her overwhelming powers, resolved to protect The Enchantress savety from afar, while hoping that the Shield Knight trapped inside of her would being able to expurge the darkness binding her soul.
It seemed that nothing would be able to stand The Enchantress powers.
However she didn't account for two major hindrances: Shovel Knight and Plague Knight.
With her conquest of the Valley, she consequently brought up wispers among the people of the Tower of Fate unsealing itself, sparking in Shovel Knight the hope to discover what happened to Shield Knight. And she did not known that the alchemist Plague Knight was working in the shadows from the very start to take advantage of her and the knights she had reunited, for his own purposes.
The two knights began their journeys simultaneously, both unaware of each others quests, sometimes even clashing aganist each other, forcing open the Locked Gates by defeating each member of the Order.
Despite all of the Order of No Quarter's efforts, both knights continued to progess towards their respective goals, getting closer and closer to her stronghold. While remaining confident of being perfectly able to get rid of both, The Enchantress tried to ensure their failure by making a second attempt to convince Black Knight to join her cause. But he stayed headstrong in his desire to remain indipendent.
After a third attempt scorned, The Enchantress lost her patiance with the ebony-clad knight, and blasted him with dark energies, which granted him great power but made him go berserker but thankfully Shovel Knight was able to make him snap out of it.
Plague Knight arrived first and confronted The Enchantress, as he wanted to extract her essence, so he could combine it with the others he collected from the knights of the Order and Shovel Knight to create the Ultimate Potion, so that he can be worth of Mona's love.
The Enchantress scorned and mocked the alchemist for such a simple goal, making insinuations of him forever being unable to be more than what he is. She tried to enforce her rule on him, but she found herself unable to subdue him without risking to kill him, a loss of a valuable asset she was unwilling to do.
She conceded, teleporting away while leaving behind her essence, convinced to being able to use him as a pawn to a later date. Her essence would soon prove much more powerful than anticipated, resulting in a unpredicted reaction that transformed the Ultimate Potion first in the Plague of Shadows, then in the Corrupted Essence.
Meanwhile The Enchantress did not have the time to gather again her full strenght, as Shovel Knight arrived shortly after her confrontation with Plague knight. She tried to crush Shovel Knight hopes, convince him to stand aside or lose forever Shield Knight, but the stalwart warrior refused to let it happen. The two clashed with each other.
Blow after blow, Shovel Knight was in the end able to sufficently weaken The Enchantress to the point that her dark influence couldn't maintain control of her vessel anymore. With an energy output that shattered all the glass windows, Shield Knight was finally freed from the dark magic ensnaring her, reuniting the two lovers at last.
Despite however the end of the Enchantress as an individual, her raw strength and magic recombined, condensing themselves in the monstrous Remnant of Fate, an abomination moved only by a desire of total destruction.
Thanks to the efforts of Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, and the crumbling of the Tower initiated by Plague Knight sacrificing the Ultimate Potion, the Remnant of Fate was stopped, ending the Enchantress and her reign of terror once and for all.
Shovel of HopeEdit
Black Knight Wandering across the Valley:
- "The Enchantress: With you by our side, Black Knight, total dominion is within our grasp."
- "Black Knight: I beg of you, take my words to heart. Your safety is my only concern!"
- "Shovel Knight: Was that The Enchantress? Tell me wh-"
- "Black Knight: You! Haven't you tired of this charade? Stay out of this!"
- "Shovel Knight: You never were one to blindly follow, Black Knight, but the Order and the Enchantress must be stopped!"
- "Black Knight: Fool! You're headed down a ruinous path!"
- "Shovel Knight: The only path I seek leads to the Tower of Fate. And I will reach it."
- "Black Knight: Never! Steel thy shovel!"
At the entrance to the Tower of Fate:
- "Black Knight: Shovel Knight! Stop your meddling and turn back now! This is your last chance!"
- "Shovel Knight: I will reach her, Black Knight, even if I have to go through you."
- "The Enchantress: Black Knight, are you guarding my tower? Have you finally decided to join us? You may kneel and pledge your loyalty now."
- "Black Knight: For the last time, I answer to no one!"
- "The Enchantress: Very well. Here's a tiny taste of the power you spurned."
- "Shovel Knight: Black Knight!"
- "Black Knight: I warned you to stay away!"
Before the battle:
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an event that occurs later in the game.
- "The Enchantress: ...It's a beautiful night, isn't it?"
- "Shovel Knight: Shield Knight! Come with me, let us leave this place!"
- "The Enchantress: How pitiful, clinging to false hope, chasing ghosts."
- "Shovel Knight: ...."
- "The Enchantress: So, have you come to slay me, knight? To avenge your beloved? Gaze into my eyes. See how fearful I am. Watch me cower as you draw your blade."
- "Shovel Knight: I don't need a blade to fight evil. Shield Knight, I know you aren't lost forever."
- "The Enchantress: You haven't the slightest hope of defeating me, but I won't stop you from trying... so please... LET US DANCE TOGETHER INTO THE ABYSS!"
Plague of ShadowsEdit
Before the battle:
- "The Enchantress: Plague Knight. Ah, so your fool's errand draws to a close."
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee, you know what I'm after, Enchantress... and how important this is."
- "The Enchantress: Do not speak to me of importance. Your quest is folly! You'll never be anything more than you are."
- "Plague Knight: ..."
- "The Enchantress: So, you've come to rob me of my Essence? To shape the world to your whim? Essence is insignificant to me, but you, my servant, must be reminded of your place."
- "Plague Knight: My place is by Mona's side, and you won't stop me."
- "The Enchantress: If you insist on dancing with death... THEN I SHALL TAKE THE LEAD!"
After the battle:
- "The Enchantress: Killing you would be a waste of my energy... and of a powerful alchemist. I'll make use of you yet, Plague Knight... take what you will. Make your potion! But what you truly desire will always elude you."
Specter of TormentEdit
After completing the Plains:
- "The Enchantress: So. You've returned. I assume Black Knight has joined our ranks?"
- "Specter Knight: Neither words nor scythe had any effect. The fool persists in some fruitless quest."
- "The Enchantress: Indeed, it seems I am dealing with fools here! Was I a fool to trust you? Tarry here no longer, and for your sake pray that the others are less obstinate. Bring the knights immediately!"
After completing four stages:
- "The Enchantress: Who dares to intrude on my tower?"
- "Reize: Hey lady! My name's Reize. Are you up here to help me beat these guys up?"
- "The Enchantress: Oh.. HO HO HO HO. Looking for an apprentice of your own, Specter Knight?"
- "Specter Knight: He's nobody! Just a naive kid. Let him be... I'll escort him out myself."
- "The Enchantress: A NOBODY, you say? Well that just won't do. Let's make something of him, shall we?"
- "Reize: What? What are you doing to me?! The darkness... IT HURTS!! Stop! ARRRGHHHHH!"
After the fight with Reize:
- "The Enchantress: Oh, how delightful! I am impressed, Reize. Perhaps I can find a use for you around here! Let's see..."
- "Specter Knight: ..."
- "The Enchantress: Let's see... That nervous acolyte is certainly unfit to guard this mirror. Take his place, if you would!"
- "Reize: Of course, my master. Can I destroy him?"
- "The Enchantress: Not too hasty, my child. He can ponder his fate in the dungeon. And you.. Stop wasting time! Return to the task at hand, and do not fail me again!"
Donovan's flashback after completing eight stages:
- "Donovan: Luan... I'm... H-HALT! *COUGH* Who goes there?"
- "The Enchantress: You have sealed your fate. Your friend has fallen, and your own life is forfeit! ....HMMMM...Unless...."
- "Donovan: Unless?"
- "The Enchantress: Unless you do as I command. I shall grant you a reprieve from certain death.. And give you great power."
- "Donovan: I gather I don't have a choice, then? *COUGH* Fine, I'm listening."
- "The Enchantress: HO HO HO... You will gather me a grand army! The knights of this land will bow before me. You will bring them here, and I will have a fearsome order."
- "Donovan: If... If that is your price, then so be it..... so be it."
- "The Enchantress: I bind you with this enchanted locket! When eight knights kneel before me, it will gain the power to restore life."
- "Specter Knight: I will.. do as you wish."
- "The Enchantress: HA HA HA HA! Yes! Go now, my Specter Knight , and sow fear throughout my empire!"
After completing nine stages:
- "The Enchantress: Oh, HO HO HO, that can certainly be arranged."
- "Black Knight: SHIELD KNIGHT!? At last, I've found you! Come, let's leave this place! I will bring you to safety!"
- "Specter Knight: .... Shield Knight?"
- "The Enchantress: Pledge your loyalty to me, Black Knight, as my final knight."
- "Black Knight: W-what's happened to you? Come to your senses at once!"
- "The Enchantress: ...Very well, then. Specter Knight, Dispose of this intruder!"
Before the battle:
- "The Enchantress: Oh it's you. Have you come all this way to report your progress? Where is my eight night?"
- "Specter Knight: None of that matters any more! Prepare to face your demise, Shield Knight! Your treachery ends here!"
- "The Enchantress: MY treachery? I granted you new life.. but now you intend to take mine?"
After the battle:
- "The Enchantress: Oh HO HO HO! Weakling! ..... Reize, my child! Come to me!"
- "Reize: YES, MY QUEEN?"
- "Specter Knight: Release Reize! HAVEN'T YOU DONE ENOUGH?!"
- "Reize: I'd give anything to serve you! Do with me what you will!!"
- "The Enchantress: My child! DRINK DEEP OF THE DARKNESS! Reveal your FULL POTENTIAL!"
After defeating Nightmare Reize:
- "The Enchantress: Fair enough. Reize has proven a loyal servant... He'll be the perfect final knight of the ORDER OF NO QUARTER!"
- "Specter Knight: I WILL SERVE AS YOUR EIGHT KNIGHT! TAKE ME INSTEAD."
- "The Enchantress: Oh? NOW YOU ARE READY TO BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT?"
- "Specter Knight: I.... I AM YOURS TO COMMAND. BUT FIRST, THE FINAL ACT OF MY OWN VOLITION!"
- "The Enchantress: HA! Reize has played his part well. With the power of the locket squandered on this whelp, your life is forfeit... Now, YOU BELONG TO ME!"
- "Reize: *COUGH* ...D-D-Donovan?"
- "The Enchantress: Henceforth and forever you will serve me in the Lich Yard! A fitting post, don't you think? Ha HA HA!"
- "Specter Knight: ..."
- In her Body Swap Mode appearance, The Enchanter, he bares a striking resemblance to the character Ganondorf from The Legend of Zelda, this even being noted in the Body Swap design article.
- They jokingly said how a designer must have been playing lots of Ganondorf in Super Smash Bros, a game Ganondorf appears in, this designer being Nick Wozniak.
- Her outfit is heavily inspired by a kimono.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Shovel Knight • Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Potionarium:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Percy • Oolong|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple • Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize Seatlan • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||Black Knight • King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall|